Welcome

This blog has grown out of my weekly newspaper column. Enjoy.
A prudent person forsees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences. Proverbs 22:3 (NLT)

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Lightning Strike II


Back in December, I wrote a column about a product to which I was recently introduced.  It’s a fire-starting device called a Lightning Strike. Several weeks back I had opportunity to use mine. Check out blog post dated December 7, 2014.  
Each year on Memorial Day weekend I take my two grandsons on a little trip.  We drive over to Central Oregon and camp out in a little campground that lies right next to a big tract of BLM land near Fort Rock. One afternoon we decided to ride up to Hole-In-The-Ground (look it up).  My 8 year old grandson was riding with me on my four-wheeler and were about three miles from camp when a windy rain shower blew in and we were getting drenched and cold.
I drove off the trail and dropped down out of the wind into a fair-sized gully where we hunkered down in the lee of a big burned-out stump.  The stump was open on one side and we set about gathering some kindling and dry sticks and laid a small fire inside the stump.  I dug my Lightning Strike out of the pack on my ATV, shoved a couple of the tinder pucks under the kindling and handed the fire starter to my grandson.  After only two strikes on the ferro rod, the pucks caught the spark and in minutes we had a nice little fire going.
Now I realize this wasn't exactly a "survival" situation, nor we were ever in any actual danger, but that little fire warmed us and taught my grandson a valuable lesson. (Besides making a pretty cool memory.)
The rain shower passed and we extinguished the fire, making sure it was safe to leave untended and proceeded on with our ride.
For more information or you’d like to get your hands on one check out www.hollandguns.com.  
Just thought you'd like to know.



No comments:

Post a Comment